List building is at the heart of any successful online business. Even affiliates without products of their own can benefit from having lists and it allows you to keep in touch with your community. Opt-in forms are the gateway to that community.
Adding an opt-in form with WordPress is very easy, the whole process only takes about 20 minutes. While there are many ways to add opt-ins: pop-ups, pop-unders, on the footer. Most of these plug-ins cost money are annoying to users, and exit pop-ups are hated by Google so avoid them if you are using PPC traffic or affiliates. In this case we’ll be using the widgets area, which is generally liked by users and by Google, and included in WordPress.
Widgets are the elements you see on the side columns, e.g. categories, search and the like. Recent versions of WordPress allow a freeform ‘text’ widget that you can place arbitrary html text into. This can be used for anything: videos, images, ads, or opt-ins. It doesn’t matter what theme (e.g. Thesis) you are using as it’s built into WordPress.
What you need to add an Opt-In Widget to WordPress
- A version of WordPress that support widgets (all recent ones do).
- An email marketing provider (e.g. aWeber, and private labeled versions: profollow), these aren’t free, but if your serious about connecting with your users highly recommended. They offer sequenced auto responders, list segmentation, and tracking.
- If you want to be notified, an email account to send subscription notifications (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org).
How to add an Opt-In with a Text Widget
- Most decent vendors have a web form creator, to make this easy. Just follow the steps they provide and you’ll get some raw code to cut and paste into the text widget.
- In your WordPress Admin, you can see “Appearance” on the left, click on that, then click on “widgets”, then click “add” button, like so:
At this point you’ll have a text widget in your widgets column.
4. Click on the new text widget and edit it like so:
8. Click save changes.
9. Check that it works by viewing the site, and testing the optin page with one of the emails you own.
10. That’s it!
Go do it!
Follow the steps in this. It only took me about 20 minutes to get this done and the rewards of having a list are huge!
If you have a suggestion on how to do it better please leave a comment below, also subscribe to stay in touch and get special reports.